Published On: Wed, May 12th, 2021

Why MasterChef guest judge Shannon Bennett is ‘disappointed’ with Netflix show Byron Baes

Netflix‘s new ‘docu-soap series’ Byron Baes is expected to begin filming this month, despite a huge uproar among angry locals wanting to have it axed.

Now former MasterChef guest judge Shannon Bennett has weighed in on his fears and frustrations surrounding the program’s execution.

The TV chef, 45, told Confidential on Wednesday: ‘I think any show in Byron Bay or in any town should be about the truth and unfortunately I’m disappointed because this show is trying to fool people.’

‘This show is trying to fool people!’ MasterChef guest judge Shannon Bennett (pictured) is ‘disappointed’ with Netflix show Byron Baes as he believes the series will misrepresent his adopted hometown’s values and lifestyle 

Shannon moved to New South Wales’ trendy coastal town Byron Bay from Melbourne four years ago after the sale of Vue Group.

‘It’s basically trying to depict what Byron life is, but it’s a lie. It’s trying to feed off the name “Byron Bay”, which is made up of an incredible community that’s been built up over decades.

Boasting about his adopted hometown, Shannon continued: ‘It’s a great town that has some great stories here, some great entrepreneurs, great people and the show is feeding off of lies.’

Shannon, ex-partner Madeleine West (of Neighbours fame) and their six children all reside in Byron Bay. Shannon and Madeleine amicably co-parent their children after announcing their split in September 2018 after 13 years together. 

'The show is feeding off of lies': Shannon claimed 'influencers' were not a true reflection of the town's incredible community

‘The show is feeding off of lies’: Shannon claimed ‘influencers’ were not a true reflection of the town’s incredible community

Full steam ahead: Netflix's new 'docu-soap series' Byron Baes is expected to begin filming this month, despite a huge uproar among angry locals wanting to have it axed

Full steam ahead: Netflix’s new ‘docu-soap series’ Byron Baes is expected to begin filming this month, despite a huge uproar among angry locals wanting to have it axed

Earlier this month, Netflix’s Director of Originals in Australia Que Minh Luu confirmed that cast ‘hated’ a recent PR post describing the upcoming series, and were forced to apologise over the way they were described.  

Que was responding after many mocked the press release, which read: ‘It’s not just Chris and Zac’s backyard, it’s the playground of more celebrity-adjacent-adjacent influencers than you can poke a selfie stick at’. 

‘They are artists, musicians, entrepreneurs, business owners, models, on a spiritual journey and more,’ Que corrected.  

Backlash: Ben Gordon, owner of The Byron Bay General Store, led calls to snub the Netflix production in April- and asked other local businesses to do the same

Backlash: Ben Gordon, owner of The Byron Bay General Store, led calls to snub the Netflix production in April- and asked other local businesses to do the same

It came after a handful of so-called Byron locals recently paddled out into the ocean to protest the show, while others stood by with placards that read ‘give Netflix the flick’ and ‘consult traditional owners’.

Ben Gordon, owner of The Byron Bay General Store, led calls to snub production in April – and asked other local businesses to do the same.

‘They’ve simply turned up unannounced and they are proposing to drag our name through the mud, and make millions of dollars without offering anything back to the community,’ he told Today hosts Karl Stefanovic and Allison Langdon.

'Yep, I feel embarrassed': Musician Billy Otto (pictured) claimed he quit the Netflix show just days after the cast was leaked, saying he 'felt embarrassed' to be associated with the program

‘Yep, I feel embarrassed’: Musician Billy Otto (pictured) claimed he quit the Netflix show just days after the cast was leaked, saying he ‘felt embarrassed’ to be associated with the program

Mr Gordon said the prospective reality series is ‘a complete misrepresentation of who we are as a community’. 

This month, musician Billy Otto claimed he quit the Netflix show, saying he ‘felt embarrassed’ to be associated with the program. 

Rumoured stars believed to be joining the line-up include Bachelorette star Nathan Favro, Love Island hunk Elias Chigros, model Jessica Vander Leahy, and Zac Efron’s ex-girlfriend Vanessa Valladares.  

Coming soon: Rumoured stars believed to be joining the line-up include Bachelorette star Nathan Favro, Love Island hunk Elias Chigros, model Jessica Vander Leahy(pictured), and Zac Efron's ex-girlfriend Vanessa Valladares

Coming soon: Rumoured stars believed to be joining the line-up include Bachelorette star Nathan Favro, Love Island hunk Elias Chigros, model Jessica Vander Leahy(pictured), and Zac Efron’s ex-girlfriend Vanessa Valladares

Source link

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Sitemap