Published On: Fri, Apr 30th, 2021

Viewpoint viewers switch off in light of the Noel Clarke sexual harassment allegations

Viewpoint viewers were turning off in their droves on Thursday night in the wake of sexual harassment allegations against show star Noel Clarke.

The actor, 45, was suspended by Bafta after 20 women accused him of sexual harassment, groping and bullying, with the claims levelled against him in The Guardian.

And as the show aired as usual on ITV hours after the accusations came to light, furious viewers hit out at the channel for still opting to broadcast it.

Switching off: Viewpoint viewers were turning off in their droves on Thursday night in the wake of sexual harassment allegations against show star Noel Clarke

Married Noel, who plays DC Martin Young, has strongly denied the allegations, with the incidents claimed to have taken place between 2004 and 2019. 

But Viewpoint viewers were ‘put off’ tuning into drama series amid the scandal, with one writing: ‘I can’t watch knowing what I know.’

Taking to Twitter, one fans said: ‘Suspended my viewing re Noel Clarke allegations #Viewpoint.’

While another asked: ‘In light of the Noel Clarke allegations, who’s suddenly stopped watching #Viewpoint tonight then.’

Accused: The actor, 45, was suspended by Bafta after 20 women accused him of sexual harassment, groping and bullying, with the claims levelled against him in The Guardian

Accused: The actor, 45, was suspended by Bafta after 20 women accused him of sexual harassment, groping and bullying, with the claims levelled against him in The Guardian

‘Sorry but I can’t watch knowing what I know now. And also, being a woman, it’s so much more difficult’ tweeted a third.

While a fourth shared: ‘I thought the only good thing about #Viewpoint was Noel Clarke. After reading all the allegations I’ve just changed my mind and the channel.’

‘Yes he could be totally innocent but at this moment in time, I feel physically sick just looking at him. I just can’t continue to watch, it’s totally against my principles and it’s also in defence of his possible victims’ came the response from a fifth.

Not impressed: As the show aired as usual on ITV hours after the accusations came to light, furious viewers hit out at the channel for still opting to broadcast it

With another agreeing: ‘Omg straight put off rest of #Viewpoint now I’ve seen what trending on here about Noel, total shock, well done to all the girls to speak up!!’

Meanwhile, ITV have faced backlash from angry viewers who believe they should have pulled Viewpoint from TV schedules after the allegations came to light.

‘ITV should be ashamed of airing #Viewpoint, totally wrong and disgusting, knowing what we know about Noel Clarke’ fumed one unimpressed person.

With another exclaiming: ‘Oh god you can’t show this with Noel Clarke!!!’

No thanks: Viewpoint viewers were 'put off' tuning into drama series amid the scandal, with one writing: 'I can't watch knowing what I know'

No thanks: Viewpoint viewers were ‘put off’ tuning into drama series amid the scandal, with one writing: ‘I can’t watch knowing what I know’

And a third adding: ‘I feel like, given the allegations that have recently surfaced, ITV should have pulled #Viewpoint from tonight’s schedule.’

As well as suspending his Bafta membership, the academy said in a statement it had also suspended his outstanding British contribution to cinema award, which he was handed earlier this month at the Royal Albert Hall, until further notice.

The claims were levelled against the TV star best known for appearing in Doctor Who and for co-creating The Hood Trilogy, in The Guardian.

Noel vehemently denied the allegations in a statement to the newspaper.

Backlash: Meanwhile, ITV have faced backlash from angry viewers who believe they should have pulled Viewpoint from TV schedules after the allegations came to light

Backlash: Meanwhile, ITV have faced backlash from angry viewers who believe they should have pulled Viewpoint from TV schedules after the allegations came to light

He said: ‘In a 20-year career, I have put inclusivity and diversity at the forefront of my work and never had a complaint made against me. 

‘If anyone who has worked with me has ever felt uncomfortable or disrespected, I sincerely apologise. I vehemently deny any sexual misconduct or wrongdoing and intend to defend myself against these false allegations.’

The statement from Bafta said: ‘In light of the allegations of serious misconduct regarding Noel Clarke in The Guardian, Bafta has taken the decision to suspend his membership and the Outstanding British Contribution to Cinema award immediately and until further notice.’ 

Shock: Bafta has suspended Noel Clarke's membership following allegations of misconduct. The claims were levelled against Clarke in The Guardian. (Pictured on April 10 with his Bafta Award)

Shock: Bafta has suspended Noel Clarke’s membership following allegations of misconduct. The claims were levelled against Clarke in The Guardian. (Pictured on April 10 with his Bafta Award)

Management and production company 42 M&P said it stopped representing Clarke earlier this month. 

A spokesman said: ‘Noel Clarke was a client of 42 M&P until April this year but the company no longer represents him.’

Clarke, who is married to former make-up artist Iris Da Silva with three children, wrote and starred in the acclaimed film trilogy Kidulthood, Adulthood and Brotherhood, and directed two of them. 

Denial: Noel vehemently denied the allegations in a statement to the newspaper (pictured with his wife Iris Da Silva in February 2017)

Denial: Noel vehemently denied the allegations in a statement to the newspaper (pictured with his wife Iris Da Silva in February 2017)

Source link

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Sitemap