Published On: Wed, Sep 15th, 2021

Louise Minchin, 53, reveals her reasons for quitting BBC Breakfast

Louise Minchin has spoken out on her reasons for quitting BBC Breakfast, saying she came to the realisation she couldn’t face another winter of early starts after taking time off to recover from an ankle operation.

The television presenter, 53, announced in June this year that she would be leaving the show after 20 years at the helm, with her last episode airing on Wednesday.

And the star has now expanded on her reason for quitting, saying she struggled with the early mornings after taking time off last year.

End of an era: Louise Minchin, 53, has spoken out on her reasons for quitting BBC Breakfast, saying she couldn’t face another winter of early starts

She explained to the Mirror: ‘In December I’d taken three, four weeks off work because of an ankle operation and I had that period to realise that when I’m not getting up at 3:40am in the morning, I’m doing all sorts of things in the evening that I want to be doing – like just watching telly with my family, doing that kind of family stuff.  

‘So yeah, I think it was coming out of winter into this period that the decision was made. 

She also revealed the lockdown period had made her acknowledge her natural body clock, as she mused: ‘It made me realise that actually I particularly really struggle with the hours… I have found them really hard.’

Louise added she was looking forward to having breakfast with her family and having a morning routine with them after missing out on taking her daughters Mia, 20, and Scarlett, 17, to school.  

Doting mother: Louise - who keeps her daughters Mia, 20, and Scarlett, 17, out of the spotlight (pictured in 2005) is looking forward to spending time with her family

Doting mother: Louise – who keeps her daughters Mia, 20, and Scarlett, 17, out of the spotlight (pictured in 2005) is looking forward to spending time with her family 

But Louise may not have too long off work as she is reportedly being eyed-up for I’m A Celebrity… Get Me Out of Here! 

ITV are keen for the TV host, who is leaving her job at the national broadcaster next week, to get on board amid ongoing casting. 

Louise has experienced an incredible 20 year career in presenting and this opens the doors for a new opportunity. 

MailOnline has contacted ITV for comment.  

Quality time: Louise also said she is looking forward to spending more time with husband David (pictured 2008)

Quality time: Louise also said she is looking forward to spending more time with husband David (pictured 2008)

A source told The Sun: ‘There’s a long tradition of reality TV shows targeting news presenters and I’m A Celebrity is no different.

‘Victoria Derbyshire was on the show before and proved very popular with viewers. ITV are hoping they can do the same with Louise and have approached her about coming on board.’

The upcoming series will be filmed once again at North Wales’ Gwrych Castle after ITV bosses ruled out a return to Australia due to travel restrictions on the country’s east coast, currently in the midst of another lockdown.

The source also claimed that ITV have got a ‘decent offer’ to put to Louise, with the hope she’ll be able to take a few weeks’ break on the lead up to the new series which is expected to start in November. 

If the journalist takes ITV up on their offer, it could see her go head-to-head on rival channels with former BBC co-presenter Dan Walker, who is appearing on this year’s Strictly Come Dancing. 

This is allegedly one of the reasons ITV have set her in their sights. 

Friendly competition: Louise is being eyed up for I'm A Celebrity which could see her go head-to-head on rival channels with former BBC co-presenter Dan Walker (pictured) who is appearing on this year's Strictly Come Dancing

Friendly competition: Louise is being eyed up for I’m A Celebrity which could see her go head-to-head on rival channels with former BBC co-presenter Dan Walker (pictured) who is appearing on this year’s Strictly Come Dancing

The rumoured approach comes after work continued in earnest on Monday as  builders prepared Gwrych Castle and its adjacent 236 acre estate ahead of the new series. 

The Grade I listed 19th-century country house, located near Abergele in picturesque Conwy County, north Wales, will play host to the long-running ITV show for the second consecutive year.

ITV bosses are facing a scramble against time to renovate the dilapidated building – which is now closed to the public – and its surrounding areas on the lead up to the 21st series.  

Picturesque: Gwrych Castle, located near Abergele in picturesque Conwy County, north Wales, will play host to the long-running ITV show for the second consecutive year

Picturesque: Gwrych Castle, located near Abergele in picturesque Conwy County, north Wales, will play host to the long-running ITV show for the second consecutive year

Source link

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Sitemap