Published On: Wed, Sep 15th, 2021

George Calombaris’ kids are shocked to see him on The Masked Singer 

George Calombaris shares a video of his childrens’ priceless reactions when they first learned he was The Duster on The Masked Singer


Australia was shocked when George Calombaris was revealed as The Duster on The Masked Singer on Tuesday night. 

But no one was more surprised than the celebrity chef’s children, son James, ten, and daughter Michaela, eight, who learned the identity at the same time as the rest of the nation. 

George posted a hilarious video to Instagram of the moment his kids saw the big reveal on television.

Shook: No one was more surprised than George Calombaris’ kids, son James, ten, and daughter Michaela, eight,when they learned their dad was The Duster on The Masked Singer

Thinking they were being recorded for Celebrity Gogglebox, the kids expressed their disappointment that the mysterious Duster had been eliminated from the reality TV show.

‘Who do you think it is?’ asked George, with James guessing it was surfer Mick Fanning.

However when the mask came off, the kids were genuinely shocked to learn it had been their dad the whole time.

‘Oh my god! How? What the hell?’ they screamed.    

Tricky: George posted a hilarious video to Instagram of the moment his children, who were unaware their dad was on the show, saw the big reveal on television

Tricky: George posted a hilarious video to Instagram of the moment his children, who were unaware their dad was on the show, saw the big reveal on television

Try again: 'Who do you think it is?' asked George, with James guessing it was surfer Mick Fanning

However when the mask came off, the kids were genuinely shocked to learn it had been their dad the whole time

Try again: ‘Who do you think it is?’ asked George, with James guessing it was surfer Mick Fanning

However not everyone was as excited about the reveal as George’s kids. 

After being unmasked on Tuesday’s episode, viewers had a mixed response to what they perceived as his attempt at public redemption. 

Several complained that he shouldn’t have been offered a comeback after he was fined $200,000 for underpaying 515 staff between 2011 and 2017.

One person tweeted: ‘George Calombaris doesn’t deserve to be back on our TVs.’ 

Another wrote:  ‘Noooooooo sorry George Calombaris Too SOON sorry we have NOT forgotten or forgiven maybe try reputation rehab on the ABC.’  

Return: After being unmasked as The Duster on Tuesday's episode of The Masked Singer, fans had a mixed response to what they perceived as George's attempt at public redemption

Return: After being unmasked as The Duster on Tuesday’s episode of The Masked Singer, fans had a mixed response to what they perceived as George’s attempt at public redemption

A third added: ‘Channel 10 what are you doing putting him in another one of your shows’. 

‘I hope George didn’t get paid for this appearance… bit of a double standard otherwise,’ a fourth tweeted. 

Another commented: ‘Where was the clue about not paying your workers?’

Complains: Several complained that he shouldn't have been offered a comeback after he was fined $200,000 for underpaying 515 staff between 2011 and 2017

Complains: Several complained that he shouldn’t have been offered a comeback after he was fined $200,000 for underpaying 515 staff between 2011 and 2017

Yet another said: ‘Shame on you @Channel10AU for bringing George Calombaris back to TV on The Masked Singer.

‘Way to sprinkle salt into the wounds of hospitality staff, especially during NSW and VIC lockdowns.’

Speaking about the scandal on Wednesday, Calombaris told Mix94.5’s Pete, Matt and Kymba breakfast show that ‘it was a tough couple of years and they are behind me now.’ 

In 2019, the chef made headlines after he was found to have underpaid his restaurant staff by nearly $8million.

Scandal: In 2019, the chef made headlines after he was found to have underpaid his restaurant staff by nearly $8million

Scandal: In 2019, the chef made headlines after he was found to have underpaid his restaurant staff by nearly $8million

He was fined for underpaying 515 staff between 2011 and 2017 and will have his business audited for the next three years.  

At about this time he was also axed from MasterChef alongside co-judges Gary Mehigan and Matt Preston after they demanded a pay rise.

They were replaced by Jock Zonfrillo, Andy Allen and Melissa Leong. 

Out: At about this time he was also axed from MasterChef alongside co-judges Gary Mehigan (left) and Matt Preston (centre) after they demanded a pay rise

Out: At about this time he was also axed from MasterChef alongside co-judges Gary Mehigan (left) and Matt Preston (centre) after they demanded a pay rise

Source link

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Sitemap